Create an amazing entryway and you’ve created a solid first impression on anyone that comes in your home. It’s true, you only get one chance at a first impression. No matter the size of the entrance, it can make a welcoming statement that sets the stage for the rest of your home.
Creating the look and feel you want must start with a few basic questions.
How do we use the space?
1. Use of space. Before deciding on a design or look you’re trying to achieve ask yourself, how is this space used? Is this the door everyone comes to when when they get home? Is this saved for guests or visitors who ring the doorbell? It doesn’t take much to create an entryway that makes a great impression.
We don’t have a lot of room!
Your space can still be impressive!
2. Embrace the space. If the space sees lots of traffic and is the main traffic point in the house, treat it that way. Having a proper a place to put things is key. Make sure all elements of design are functional. If space is crucial, treat it with great importance. You may even need a professional to help build you the proper storage. This can be very cost effective.
Calm down the chaos!
3. Create calm with colour. Paint is just about the best ways to make a space feel a certain way. If you want drama, go for a bold colour or statement wall. If serenity is your speed, stick to neutrals. Make sure the paint colour is appropriate for your space. Dark walls that are close together will feel very closed in and small. More neutral colours tend to create a brighter and thus bigger space.
Add details with texture
4. Texture in the details. The light fixtures and windows provide depth and detail to the space. They create a sense of warmth and stop the area from feeling sterile and cold. Adding a mirror is functional and also creates another layer to finish off the look. There are also different fixtures and colours to choose from that will compliment the rest of the design.
Flooring that works!
5. Functional flooring. If the entrance will see traffic from all seasons, make sure the floor can take it. There’s nothing worse than a rug that bleeds and stains because it sees lots of use. It’s also good to consider what snow and rain will do to your tile or hardwood. In other words, if it can’t hold up to the use, it’s not worth using.
To sum it all up, these simple steps will help you create an amazing entryway that will make a great first impression.
If your main entrance way is a mudroom, be sure and read all about my mudroom redesign that Simple Spaces helped me create! It’s amazing!
Plus, here are some of our favourite elements for an amazing entryway!
Have a great week!