It’s not really a question of “Do you own a black dress?” It’s more a matter of “How many black dresses do you own?” We as women often wrap ourselves in black because it’s sleek, classic, forgiving and a comfortable staple. Every once in a while, it is good to update this classic piece. Here are a few thoughts that we should ask yourself:
- Will I wear this in more than one season?
- Is the shape flattering?
- Is the fabric going to last?
- Can I wear different shoes with it?
- Can I dress this up or down?
- Where would I wear this tomorrow? (meaning this: I love this dress so much I’m excited to wear it!)
Take a mental note of these questions and use it as direction when you purchase your next black dress. If you’re not going to wear it, save yourself the money and the closet space. Make sure you will get lots of mileage out of it and that you feel good wearing it! If this is too time intensive for you, we’ve put together some of our favourite classic black dresses that will flatter!